Sunday, September 11, 2011

light observation

Although this experiment may sound a little hazardous, or probably very unsafe, I decided to experiment with my car's headlights while driving. As I was driving home from a friend's house tonight through some low fog to get my neighborhood, I suddenly remembered our discussion about how fog or water vapor can intensify a beam. The fog seemed very thick because my headlights were shining directly on the areas covered with fog, so I turned them off. It wasn't the best idea while driving, but I was surprised to observe the fog itself really wasn't visible. I also noticed the moonlight shining on low-lying fog in a nearby field. I thought, "Would the fog appear as thick and defined if the moonlight weren't reflecting off of it?" I got home and decided to use a flashlight outside to see if I could see a beam. To my surprise, I couldn't. At a certain angle, a could see how the light was traveling a very short distance from head of the flashlight but there was not even a definitive "fuzzy path of light". I think this may have been a result of too much surrounding light (a streetlamp, full moon, etc.). I have a feeling that if I were in the the middle of the foggy field I would be able to see the beam because there would be less surrounding light and the fog could intensify the beam. However, this is only a theory, as I was unable to do this.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that you would be able to see a beam of light in the foggy field due to the darkness and fog surrounding you. I always thought it was strange to see fog in the distance looking like a dense cloud of vapor, but as you get closer it seems to almost dissipate. I think this too has to do with light reflecting off of the water vapor . . . as you see fog in the distance, it may obscure the area behind it. As you get closer, the water vapor does not seem as "densely packed" and you see light passing between water vapor. Just a thought.
    For some reason the name on my profile was taken from my email address, so I deleted it and fixed it.

    ReplyDelete