Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Virtues of Not Knowing

I found this article very interesting to read because I thought that it emphasized well the idea that the journey to fully understanding something is what matters most, and not that you've necessarily reached a conclusion or found a solution to the problem. Also, it was great to see that first impressions and assumptions weren't correct when students made conjectures concerning science. In my opinion, it takes either talking things through on your own, like Jac did with the liquid experiment, or discussing ideas with your peers to really understand and grasp a concept. I believe that in order to learn something, we first have to experience it, to which science lends itself well. Every child's opinion was valued, and everyone worked together to understand the natural phenomena they were observing without much assistance. I think that the more children "think out loud" the better they will be able to learn independently. This article was a great example of the fact that the process of learning is more important than the end to which we come to find the correct answer.

2 comments:

  1. I think talking through things helps a lot. Either hearing yourself say it out loud or hearing someone else restate it can help in comprehending things. I also think that experiencing something (especially in science) can help make it easier to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the same thing after I read that excerpt! I think that, generally speaking, students learn more from each other than from a teacher. Scientific evidence can sometimes support multiple conclusions I liked the examples because the students were essentially thinking out loud and ruling out things they could not support.
    -Kristin Pogue

    ReplyDelete